In this recent post, I mentioned I had picked up a DYS 2826/6 2200 Kv motor from Banggood to test.
So I first tested it on the bench with a 6x4 APC prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery on low timing setting. All of these items are listed on our parts list if you would like more info.
Here are the test results
50% throttle -
10.6A/129.1W - 396 gr/14 oz of thrust
100% throttle -
23.5A/274.2W - 710 gr/25 oz of thrust.
After reviewing some previous numbers I had seen with the Turnigy and other similar size 2200 Kv motors, these numbers were on the low end, but perhaps after some running in the air, things would improve as they sometimes do. Unfortunately not :(.
For about the first 18 flights, this motor ran smoothly and efficiently, not overly powerful compared to some of the Turnigy and other 2200 Kv motors I have run, but it did all right. Then it started to lose power and behave quite strangely for about six flights before I stopped using it altogether.
I started to notice the motor "skipping" and running a bit rough. Also, it would act like the ESC was hitting low voltage cutoff where the power would drop to about half throttle for a second or two, then surge back up or sometimes I had to chop the throttle to zero, then advance it again to clear up the problem. It certainly did not give me much confidence in it's performance. This would happen a couple of times during the flight, regardless of how fresh the battery was over several different batteries.
I checked the prop to ensure it was still in good condition and balanced and it was. I checked all the wires and connections in my setup, including the wires that go into the motor, all seemed good, so I tried several things to troubleshoot the problem, all to no avail.
- I reset the throttle points;
- I tried different ESC timings, medium and high, this did give me more power, but then the "skipping" and other bad behaviours worsened;
- tried a new ESC; and
- rebound the receiver to the transmitter to see if that would clear up the problem.
Alas, it appears this motor is a "dud" :(. After removing it from the plane, I checked to see if anything was burned, loose magnets, anything that might bind it from running properly, all was good. The bearings were still smooth and the "can" was running true, so something has me a bit puzzled with this motor, although I have had it happen to me once or twice with an inexpensive motor in the past. So I fear this motor will be recycled for parts as it does not give me the confidence to use in a plane.
And the motor testing continues... :)