I made a couple changes to the setup with my DYS BE2208/7 2600 Kv motor setup and it seems to have worked out :)
Here it is back in service in one of my trusty Mig-35Bs.
Based on some advice I received from my friend Dennie (Flybyknight22 on the RCP forum), I soldered new bullet connectors to the motor. Dennie had mentioned he had done that with troublesome motors in the past that seemed to have bad solder joints from the factory. At the same time, I also swapped out the ESC, not for a new one, but a different one.
Yesterday at the field, I flew eleven flights back to back with lots of aggressive throttle movement, high speed passes, pure vertical climb outs, really putting the motor under a lot of load, kind of a "torture" test of sorts to see if I could get the problems of consistent skipping, surging, loss of power to repeat themselves.
Throughout these flights, I did notice about three times the motor "skipping" for just a split second, I could hear the change, but never the heart stopping losses of power, surging and skipping I had noticed before in testing. So I am very happy with this performance and will continue to use this motor with the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop, it is a nice peppy combo, the motor runs cool with a relatively low amp draw.
As I think about it, I suspect the problem was more with the connectors as I had been using the original ESC with another motor after the first testing with the DYS 2600 motor with no problems, so swapping factory soldered connectors will be another step I put into my "toolbox" when it comes to troubleshooting problem motors in the future.